“GDPR in your pocket” is a free application for iOS, Android and Windows 10/11 devices developed within the framework of the SMEDATA and SMEDATA II Projects (https://smedata.eu/) co-funded by the “Rights, Equality and Citizenship Programme” of the European Union. The project consortium includes the Commission for Personal Data Protection of the Republic of Bulgaria, APIS Europe JSC, The Union of Bulgarian Jurists, Ernst & Young Bulgaria, the Bulgarian branch of the European Women Lawyers Association (EWLA) and the Roma Tre University. The Italian data protection supervisor also took part in the implementation of the SMEDATA project in the period 2018-2020.
The purpose of the tool is to introduce the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) to citizens and small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in an easy-to-use and easy-to-understand way, and to give them practical knowledge and advice on their rights, respectively obligations under the EU data protection law. The user interface and large parts of the content are available in English, Italian, Bulgarian, French and German.
"GDPR in your pocket" is developed as a hybrid application, convenient for use on a phone, tablet or desktop computer. It can be freely downloaded from the Google Play Store, Apple App Store and Microsoft Store.
|Size of the app
|Android 5.0 or later
|Google Play Store
|iOS 8.0 or later
|Apple App Store
|Windows 10 or Windows 11
Content and functionalities
The application provides access to a variety of legal information resources and guidance materials in the field of privacy and personal data protection organised in two main components – Legal library and Advisory module.
- Legal library
The Legal library gives you access to a rich collection of legal documents of the European Union and four EU Member States – Bulgaria, Italy, Germany and France as follows:
- Provisions of international and EU treaties related to privacy and personal data protection;
- Summaries of relevant cases of the European Court of Human Rights;
- EU legislation related to privacy and personal data protection;
- Landmark cases of the EU’s Court of Justice;
- Guidelines of the European Data Protection Board and the European Data Protection Supervisor;
- Bulgarian legislation and selected cases of Bulgarian courts in the field of privacy and personal data protection;
- Italian legislation and selected cases of Italian courts in the field of privacy and personal data protection;
- German legislation and selected cases of German courts in the field of privacy and personal data protection;
- French legislation and selected cases of French courts in the field of privacy and personal data protection;
- Opinions and guidelines of the Bulgarian Commission for Personal Data Protection.
- Opinions and guidelines of the Italian Data Protection Authority.
- Opinions and guidelines of the German Federal Commissioner for Data Protection and Freedom of Information.
- Opinions and guidelines of the French National Commission on Informatics and Liberty.
- Advisory module
The Advisory module provides practical guidance on GDPR rules to citizens and SMEs. It comprises the following components:
- GDPR made simple – a need-to-know guide explaining in a comprehensible, easy to understand way the rights of individuals and obligations placed on organisations;
- Decision support tools – help representatives of SMEs to find evidence-based solutions of key issues related to data protection. They offer a simplified ‘Q&A’ wizard interface to solve practical problems (e.g. “Does my organisation need a DPO?”, “Shall my organization maintain a record of processing activities?”, etc.) based on a step-by-step interaction with the user;
- Frequently asked questions – gives answers to typical questions of citizens and SMEs based on the experience gained in the questions and answers procedures set up by the Bulgarian and Italian data protection authorities;
- GDPR dictionary – a glossary of legal terms and definitions introduced by GDPR.
You can search throughout the content of the application using the search tool available in the Main menu (global search feature). You can also make search queries in the text of opened documents (local search feature).
Additionally, the application offers you:
- An option to bookmark pieces of content (e.g. articles of GDPR) you want to read later;
- An option to save locally in the disk memory of your device the text of preferred documents, which allows you to access their content in offline mode.